The Callanwolde Concert Band is an independent community wind band of adult musicians who present concert performances year round in the metro Atlanta area. Based in Decatur, GA, the band was formed in 1972 as a summer program of the Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, and has operated as an independent non-profit corporation since 1984.
The band of today greatly differs from the band of 1972, but the spirit and appreciation for good music played well has continued and flourished as the band has matured into one of the finest ensembles of its type in the southeast.
Founded under the baton of Charles Bradley, famed director of the outstanding East Atlanta Elementary Band, the band continued with George Webster as director and temporarily paused operations in the summer of 1973. Enjoying consistent leadership, the band has enjoyed five Music Directors as it nears five decades of presenting music to the community.
The band is known throughout Georgia for its high level of musicianship and audience appeal. This is music at and from the grass roots – made by your neighbors. In the ensemble, you may see your doctor, dentist, attorney or air conditioning mechanic; all contribute to preserve and continue a great American tradition – the community band.
- We present several concerts annually at the Callanwolde Fine Arts Center with whom we share mutual support for a strong performing arts presence in the community.
- Our relationship with the City of Decatur continues to grow.
- The band performs a near two hour concert as the key-note entertainment on the square in Decatur, GA for their annual Independence Day (July 4th) festivities. We have enjoyed this opportunity for many years and the performance is one we and the community look forward to each July.
- More recently, the band entered into an agreement with the city to provide a rehearsal space and storage areas for its musical equipment and library.
- We look forward to additional performing opportunities in the city to give back to the community.
- Stay tuned as we announce future concerts incident to this relationship. These concerts will be announced on our “News” and “Events” pages and in our Facebook resource.
Our Conductor and Music Director
Mr. Glenn Moore was appointed as Conductor and Music Director in October 2016. We found Glenn when he joined us as a “sub” during our May and July 4 concerts that year. He was also asked to serve as a Guest Conductor for our July 4th concert, leading to his initial appointment as an Assistant Conductor.
During rehearsal preparations for the July 4th concert, and later for our fall concert, we learned he had an extensive musical background with significant conducting experience ultimately leading to his appointment as our leader.
Glenn has continued our tradition of presenting wonderful music to the community in the metro Atlanta area. He continues to challenge the band to achieve great musical heights while presenting entertaining and enjoyable concerts for our audiences. Also an accomplished composer and arranger, we are delighted to perform his musical works, often debuting his latest creations shortly after completion.
Learn more about Glenn by visiting the Conductor and Music Director page.
Visit our Past Conductors page to learn about previous leaders of the band.