Formal concerts – Black Dress
- Men – Black tuxedos with white shirts, black ties, black socks and black shoes.
- Women – Black skirts or pants, black shirts, and black shoes.
- Callanwolde Concert Band polo shirt (shown above) (available for purchase)
- Khaki trousers
- Other color may be designated as performance dictates.
- Shorts may be prescribed during a summer concert
- Musicians encouraged to dress in costume.
- Most musical sections have been quite creative, with many creating a “theme”
- Typically Black Dress with festive adornments such as a Santa hat or reindeer antlers.
- Check with Section Leader for guidance
Yes, with the exception of a small break after our last Christmas concert until after the first week or so after New Year’s.
Time: 7:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.
Location: 500 S. Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA 30030.
Parking: Available on either side of or behind the building. Handicapped parking/wheelchair ramp located on right side of building.
Band rehearses at the back of pictured building (above).
- After turning into entrance, drive towards the building.
- Proceed either left or right (around the circle median) to the back of building.
- Enter building as follows:
- Wheelchair entrance:
- After parking, enter through door at top of the wheelchair ramp (adjacent to handicapped parking).
- Contact band member to open door.
- After parking, proceed to back of building.
- See picture (below).
- When facing back of the building, proceed to area labeled “Main Entrance” (opposite of loading dock)
- Enter the exterior and internal doors
- Wheelchair entrance:
If you are a college musician, or a recently graduated or rising senior high school musician, you should have the musical skill and experience to perform during our summer concert program.
- Currently, we present an outdoor “Pops” concert on July 4th with an audience of about 5,000.
- You should plan to participate in band rehearsals during the month of June so we ensure to present a successful concert.
Since many of our regular musicians also play this concert, we do limit numbers in these sections. Please contact us early if you are interested in performing with us.
For the music level we routinely perform, our musicians should exhibit advanced musical skills. Accordingly, there is an audition requirement.
We understand time spent away from music can dull the edge and might require some time to restore previously acquired skills.
We first permit musicians to rehearse with us for a time before an audition is administered. During the audition we screen for an ability to play in various time and key signatures, with reasonable intonation and reading ability at the level of music the band usually performs.
We accept musically experienced adults with fairly extensive instrumental training. We do understand for some people it has been a while since they may have actively played an instrument, owing to “life events” including educational pursuits, career professions, family, etc.. Most of our members played in both high school and college bands. Many received individual instruction on their respective instrument, and a majority at least considered a career in music, either in performance or education. Most pursued careers in other fields and now consider music to be a serious hobby. In general terms, if you played in a good high school or college band, you should have no problem playing with us.
Band members agree that one of the worst things about being away from music is missing the company of fellow musicians. With this in mind the Callanwolde Concert Band exists to continue the musical performance opportunities we enjoyed in school as well as the fun and camaraderie that we all loved so much.